Skills for Life
Skills for Life
Our mission statement is:
“To make the Academies within the Greenacre Academy Trust the first choice for parents wishing their children to learn vocational and personal skills for a productive and successful life. To make our secondary academies the first choice for employers when looking for apprentices and trainees.”
‘Skills for Life’ is at the heart of all we do within Greenacre Academy both within the curriculum and in extra-curricular activities.
We encourage our young students to reach their full potential both in their academic and personal progress throughout their time at school.
We are so committed to our Skills for Life mission that we have invested in our own Skills for Life Manager who will ensure this is driven forward and embedded in to daily school life.
We understand the need and importance of connecting education with the business world which will ensure our young people develop the personal and business skills that will fully equip them for the world of work or further education.
We want all our students to have the essential skills for their future whatever they decide to do;
- Confident and equipped with soft skills
- Equipped with life skills so they can be independent
- Understand their role in the community and wider society
- Secondary students to be the first choice for employers
- To be aware of the world and different cultures
- Have a good knowledge of the workplace and how to behave
We are passionate about inspiring our students to be the best they can be and to ‘reach for the stars’ in their future career choice. It is our aim to provide them with the best careers advice they deserve and need . This is delivered in many ways;
- Business mentors will be allocated to help with workplace skills, CV’s and job interviews
- Work experience organised within a chosen industry
- Extracurricular clubs which encourage life skills
- Through our newly extended DT Department, we will be offering a wide variety of trades to NVQ Level 2 and apprenticeships.
- Courses on Sales and Customer Service
- Regular Skills for Life/Career Assemblies are held by a variety of individuals, businesses and organisations to widen the students’ knowledge of the outside world and to give them an insight into the many different jobs that are available
Recent Careers Assemblies held
David Dein – Former Vice-Chairman Arsenal Football Club
The British Army
Alex Auger – The Juice Executive
Kerry Allen – Ministry of Justice
Other Careers Assemblies include:
- Tutch Media
- Sandhole Vets
- Ashford Group Vehicle Recovery
- Canute Logistics
- Isuzu Finance
- Fire Service
- Whitbread Hospitality
- Pardell PR
- Tracey Crouch – local MP
- Dovetail Games
- Kreston Reeves Accountants
We started our Skills for Life programme to help to achieve our mission by embedding the values within the curriculum and daily lessons.
Our strategy is an integral part of our school, equipping students with the vital skills they need for secondary school and adult life. We believe that every student can reach their potential and our caring and dedicated staff will allow them to achieve this.
Students should become valuable and fully rounded member of society who treat others with respect and tolerance, regardless of background.
Our Skills for Life vision is woven through the curriculum in all subjects and our EMPLOY ME acronym is referred to constantly during the day, reminding the students of what this means to them:
These values are based on promoting positive behaviour for learning, which will establish in our students, the skills that are imperative to function capably in life.
Our EMPLOY ME acronym is displayed at the front of each classroom. A different word from the EMPLOY ME is incorporated into the daily lesson planning and is then referred to by our teaching staff, linking it to the work the students are doing.
Selected years and classes will have an appointed ‘Skills for Life’ Ambassador who will represent their class when visitors enter. The chosen Ambassador will greet the visitor(s), introduce themselves, explain what they are learning, share their work and explain our Skills for Life and EMPLOY ME values.
Our Skills for Life EMPLOY ME values are displayed throughout our school.
We have high expectations of all members of Greenacre Academy and will be rigorous in offering each one significant opportunity in partnership with the local and wider business community so that their unique talent can be recognised and progressed.
‘We are so proud of our Academy and what it has to offer and want our students to be fully informed, prepared, confident and most of all, excited about their future!’
Skills for Life Manager